Installation of a RockCrusher Differential cover for a Model 30 front axle.
It's been a long time coming but RockCrusher has finally got their Dana 30 differential covers available for sale!! Just like their Dana 44 differential cover, this thing is extremely well built, super beefy, affordable, has a machined mating surface for a flat fit, look fantastic and unlike their competition, RockCrusher Heavy Duty Differential Covers can support the weight of a 110,000 lb. excavator!! Need I say, when you're ready to provide maximun protection for your Dana 30 front differential, look no further than RockCrusher.
Here is a pic of everything you will get with your new RockCrusher heavy duty Dana 30 differential cover. As you can see in this photo, it comes unpainted but complete with a tube of RTV gasket maker, fill bolt, new mounting bolts and a sticker!
The cover arrives in it's raw casting so it's a good idea to prepair, prime and paint your new RockCrusher differential cover to the color of your choice before installing it on your Jeep. If you do not paint it, it will start to rust over time.
1. Park your Jeep on level ground. Then, place some newspaper and an oil catch pan underneath the differential.
2. Use the square drive head of a 3/8" ratchet to remove the fill plug on your differential cover.
3. Using a 1/2" socket, remove all but the very top bolt on the differential cover. This bolt should loosen but not removed so that when the cover comes free, it does not fall into the oil catch pan.
4. Place a flat chisel between the differential and cover and then carefully tap it with a hammer until the cover separates just a bit. Carefully pry open the differential cover just enough from the bottom and let the fluid drain slowly into your oil catch pan. Sometimes rapping the cover with a dead blow or a rubber mallet can help break the bond so that you dont gouge the material prying on the cover. This is a good time to break for lunch or dinner to give the fluid ample time to drain.
5. Once drained, remove the remaining bolt holding your differential cover and carefully pry the whole thing off. Wipe up as much of what ever oil remains in the differential with paper towels. Use some brake cleaner to help you clean things and then wipe everything down thoroughly. Don't forget to take your old gear oil to your local recycling center once your done.
6. The differential mating surface must be completely clean to insure a proper seal. A gasket scraper works really well here and can be bought at your local auto parts store for only a few bucks. Be careful not to scratch or score the mating surface while cleaning it.
If your simply changing the fluid then you must also clean the gasket surface on the stock differential cover in the same manner.
7. Thoroughly clean the inside and mating surface of your new RockCrusher Differential Cover with the same brake cleaners and paper towels. Then applya continuous 1/4" bead of RTV along the mating surface of the RockCrusher differential cover as shown in the pic to the left. Be sure to go outside of the bolt holes.
8. Carefully place the RockCrusher differential cover onto your differential making sure not to move it around too much.
9. Fasten the RockCrusher differential cover in place using the new bolts provided with the cover. Make sure to bolt them on in a criss cross pattern and then tighten them to 25-30 ft. lbs. of torque. It is very important that you do NOT over torque these bolts and that installation of the cover should be done within a 5 minute after applying the RTV.
10. Now, fill up your differential with SAE 80W-90 GL5 gear oil until gear oil starts to ooze out of the fill hole. With the fill hole on the RockCrusher cover being higher than stock, this should take about 2 and a half quarts to do.
11. Using an H-14 hex bit, install the new fill bolt provided with the RockCrusher differential cover. Tighten this bolt to 25 ft. lbs. of torque.
That's it! This is what everything will look like when all is said and done. Not only will your axle look great now, your differential will be seriously protected from the rocks too!
The following parts require additional handling charges due to their large size or
weight: wheels, tires, full suspension lift kits, oversized bumpers, tire carriers, body tubs, hard tops
and cargo racks. The following parts do not qualify for free shipping: Oversized items and items
delivered by truck freight, as well as prior purchases and returns.
Jeep Parts & Jeep Accessories Take your Jeep to the next level with the parts found on our site. We are a leading Jeep accessories retailer, providing performance products for our customers. We work hard to give you the best information to turn your vehicle into a top-notch ride. Whether you are looking for a Jeep lift kit or want improved Jeep engine performance, we have the parts & Jeep accessories you need.
The terms Quadratec, Essentials, QuadraPac, QuadraTop and TACTIK are Registered Trademarks of Quadratec Incorporated, Registered in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. All manufacturers names, numbers, symbols and descriptions are used for reference purposes only, and it is not implied that any part listed is the product of these manufacturers or approved by any of these manufacturers.
* Jeep, Wrangler, Rubicon, Renegade, CJ, Quadra-Trac and the Jeep Grille Design are registered trademarks of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). Quadratec, Inc, has no affiliation with FCA. Throughout this website and catalog the terms Jeep, Wrangler, MOPAR®, & Rubicon are used for identification purposes only. It is not implied that any part listed is a product of, or approved by Fiat Chrysler Automobiles.
** To qualify for FREE shipping the parts on an individual order must meet a combined total value of $49 or more. Customer must select Standard Shipping in the checkout and ship to an address in the contiguous 48 United States. Some parts require additional handling charges due to their large size or weight: including wheels, tires, full suspension lift kits, oversized bumpers, tire carriers, body tubs, hard tops, cargo racks, winches and hitches. Oversized items, items that are delivered by truck freight, prior purchases and returns do not qualify for free shipping.
* Free Shipping Special Offer Details
To qualify for FREE shipping the parts on an individual order must meet a combined total value of $49 or more. Customer must select Standard Shipping in the checkout and ship to an address in the contiguous 48 United States. Some parts require additional handling charges due to their large size or weight: including wheels, tires, full suspension lift kits, oversized bumpers, tire carriers, body tubs, hard tops, cargo racks, winches and hitches. Oversized items, items that are delivered by truck freight, prior purchases and returns do not qualify for free shipping.