After installing a lift on your Jeep, it is important to have your front end aligned before you drive anywhere. Failure to do so will result in severe tire wear and/or undesired handling characteristics. Although not perfect, these are a few helpful things you can do yourself to set your toe-in and re-center your steering wheel so that you can drive to get a professional alignment.
A diagram of the Jeep TJ front Steering and Suspension components.
What You Will Need
• Ratchet • 13mm, 15mm (deep) Socket & Wrench's • Tape measure • Vice Grips or Pipe Wrench • Floor Jack (optional)* • Jack Stands (optional)* • Wheel Chocks • Someone to help you measure things *NOTE: Some people like to do their toe-in end alignment with their front axle sitting on jack stands. This allows the wheels to move freely making it easer to adjust. This is not a necessary step and some people will argue that you actually need to set your toe-in with your wheels on the ground.
Setting Your Toe-In. You can't see it, but your front tires are in fact not parallel to each other.... or at least they shouldn't be when pointing straight ahead. This is called the "toe-in" and if it is set correctly, the fronts of your tires should actually be pointing inward just a hair. These simple steps will help you to adjust your toe-in and can all be done in minutes. 1. Park on level ground and then with the help of a friend, measure the width between the front of your front tires and then compare that to the back of your front tires. It is important to use the exact same measuring point front and back (such as the mold seam in the middle of your tires) in order to get an accurate reading.
2. Using a 13mm socket and wrench, loosen sleeves on both ends of the tie-rod.
3. Grab the tie-rod with a pair of vice-grips or pipe wrench and rotate it a little bit at a time taking measurements along the way. Continue this process until the width in the front is about 1/16" (but no more than 1/8") closer together than the back.
4. Once your toe-in has been set, re-tighten the tie-rod sleeves and then move on to re-centering your steering wheel.
Re-Centering Your Steering Wheel
1. With your tires pointing as straight as possible (leave your steering wheel rotated) and your tires on the ground, loosen the bolts on your drag link turnbuckle using a 15mm deep socket or wrench.
2. Grab the turnbuckle with your hand and rotate it a little bit at a time. Check your steering wheel periodically while doing this until it appears to be centered again.
3. Try to make sure that the bolts are pointing away from the track bar (rotate just the bolt sleeve and not the turnbuckle itself if necessary) and then tighten up the turnbuckle bolts.
4. Take your Jeep out for a test ride and determine if you need to make any other adjustments. It may take a few times to get it right but at least it is easy to do.
If you just installed a 2"-3" lift, that should be about all you need to do. However, if your lift is 4" or greater, you should seriously consider purchasing a set of adjustable control arms so that you can properly set your caster.
The following parts require additional handling charges due to their large size or
weight: wheels, tires, full suspension lift kits, oversized bumpers, tire carriers, body tubs, hard tops
and cargo racks. The following parts do not qualify for free shipping: Oversized items and items
delivered by truck freight, as well as prior purchases and returns.
Jeep Parts & Jeep Accessories Take your Jeep to the next level with the parts found on our site. We are a leading Jeep accessories retailer, providing performance products for our customers. We work hard to give you the best information to turn your vehicle into a top-notch ride. Whether you are looking for 4wd suspension parts & accessories or want improved Jeep performance, we have the parts & Jeep accessories you need.
The terms Quadratec and Essentials are Registered Trademarks of Quadratec Incorporated, Registered in U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. All manufacturers names, numbers, symbols and descriptions are used for reference purposes only, and it is not implied that any part listed is the product of these manufacturers or approved by any of these manufacturers.
*Jeep, Wrangler, Rubicon, Renegade, CJ, Quadra-Trac and the Jeep Grille Design are registered trademarks of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). Quadratec, Inc, has no affiliation with FCA. Throughout this website and catalog the terms Jeep, Wrangler, MOPAR®, & Rubicon are used for identification purposes only. Geo is a registered trademark and Tracker is a registered trademark of the General Motors Company. Sidekick and Samurai are trademarks of Suzuki Motor Corporation. Amigo is a product of Isuzu Motors Limited. Chevrolet, the Chevrolet Emblem, S Series, GMC, GMC Truck, Chevy, Vortec and Sonoma are registered trademarks of the General Motors Company. Expedition, F-Series, F-150, F-250, F-350, Super Duty and Flare Side are registered trademarks of the Ford Motor Company. All other marks, names, and logos mentioned on this web site are the property of their respective owners.
Throughout this web site all the preceding marks & logos are used for identification purposes only. Quadratec has no affiliation with the FCA, MOPAR®, General Motors Company, Ford Motor Company, Suzuki Motor Corporation or Isuzu Motors Limited. It is not implied that any part listed is a product of, or approved by FCA, General Motors Company, Ford Motor Company, Suzuki Motor Corporation or Isuzu Motors Limited.
Quadratec, Inc. is sometimes mis-searched as Quadartec and Quadratech, we have no affiliation with either. 
* Free Shipping Special Offer Details
To qualify for FREE shipping the parts on an individual order must meet a combined total value of $75 or more. Customer must select Standard Shipping in the checkout and ship to an address in the contiguous 48 United States. Some parts require additional handling charges due to their large size or weight: including wheels, tires, full suspension lift kits, oversized bumpers, tire carriers, body tubs, hard tops, cargo racks, winches and hitches. Oversized items, items that are delivered by truck freight, prior purchases and returns do not qualify for free shipping.